Library Mission Statement
The mission of the Somerset College Senior School Library is to teach students to be effective users of information and to encourage and prepare students to be life-long learners. This mission is accomplished by:
– providing intellectual and physical access to informational materials in a variety of formats and media
– stimulating interest in reading by ensuring an up to date collection of books in physical and e-book format
– assisting students in finding and using information and ideas by teaching them to become skilful and ethical researchers
– promoting the use of the library by students and staff
– collaborating with staff to assist them with their teaching goals
– creating a welcoming and interesting space for students to use.
At Somerset College we love books and all forms of reading and are here to help users find just the right book for leisure or research.
Show care when using all library resources.
Be considerate of others who are working.
Use quiet voices.
No food, gum or drinks in the library.
The Library is open all day. If no-one is present to sign out your book/s please write it up on the form provided on the desk.
There are student Library Custodians available at lunch time and during 8th period to help you.
There are seven computers in the library for general use and printing.
You can access the library catalogue by following this link.
Select Somerset College from the drop down list.
Search using keywords or authors.
There are links to Amazon, Loot, WorldCat, LibraryThing for reviews and more info.
Click on title to see availability, format, reviews etc.
We have a free e-Books library powered by Overdrive from which you can download onto any device except Kindle (at this stage), or you can read online. This allows you to borrow an ebook for 2 weeks.
Follow the link at the bottom of the home page on the school website – use your network ID and password to log in OR Download the Overdrive media consul app onto your device.
If necessary download a free Adobe ID.
Search for Somerset College.
Use network ID and password.
Explore, Select, Borrow, Read.
The Rule of the Library is Respect – your peers, teachers, parents and school.
Librarian: Mr Coenraad Walters
Library Manager: Mrs Humphreys (firstname.lastname@example.org)