Somerset College, a co-educational independent school (IEB and Cambridge) with strong Christian values, is situated on a magnificent campus between Somerset West and Stellenbosch in the Cape Winelands. The school includes a Pre-Preparatory, Preparatory and a Senior School with boarding. All spheres of Somerset College enjoy a well-established reputation for excellence. The outdoor curriculum is strong, and the renowned Trek is a 4- week outdoor adventure cherished by the Grade 9 learners.
Somerset College is strategically driven to further its reputation as an iconic destination school for students both locally and further afield. ESTEAM is one of the important focus areas of the school to equip students to thrive as relevant and worthy global citizens. Please learn more by visiting our website https://somersetcollege.org.
Pre-Preparatory and Preparatory School Psychologist (Part-Time)
1-Year Fixed Term Contract
Somerset College seeks to employ an energetic, creative and experienced psychologist who is passionate about supporting and developing well-being among children.
Commencement Date: 1 April 2023
The successful candidate must:
- have a Master’s degree in Educational, Clinical or Counselling Psychology from a recognised institution;
- be registered with the HPCSA;
- have at least 3 years of experience in the field of psychology (particularly in counselling children).
- well-developed interpersonal skills with the ability to coordinate and work with other professionals;
- an interest in and experience with Preparatory and Pre-Preparatory School children and knowledge of these developmental stages;
- experience in working with children and families;
- strong verbal and written communication skills, along with effective administrative abilities;
- able to use own initiative, be creative and flexible;
- professionalism and a high standard of ethics;
- must be able to handle confidential matters ethically and with sensitivity;
- previous experience with and knowledge of working with students with barriers to learning will be advantageous.
- provide short to medium-term therapeutic interventions (individual and group psychotherapy, play therapy) to students from Grade 000 to Grade 7;
- provide psychosocial support in times of crisis (students, family or school);
- case management and containment;
- observation and monitoring of students;
- attendance and contribution to multidisciplinary team meetings;
- developing intervention plans for teachers and parents;
- liaison with parents and teachers;
- adherence to laws, policies, procedures and ethical standards of the HPCSA and teaching profession.
Please email a Letter of Application and an updated CV, including three contactable references, in confidence to email@example.com
Somerset College is an equal-opportunity employer. The School reserves the right not to make an appointment. Submission of an application does not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview.
Somerset College, in line with POPIA (Protection of Personal Information Act), will attempt to ensure the confidentiality of all applicants for this role. All reasonable measures will be in place to protect personal information but will be used in the recruitment, selection and reporting process. By submitting your application for this position, you are recognising and accepting this disclaimer
Address: Bredell Road
Closing date: Friday 10th February 2023